Saturday, May 6, 2017

That Still Small Voice and…

Things tend to happen in threes don’t they? Two things happened about a week ago and I was waiting on the third. I didn’t have to wait too long though.

First:

I went with a friend to DGI (similar to going to the Secretary of State) about a week ago. While we were out front a peaceful demonstration walked past. I had heard they were either protesting something about a local school director or wanting someone out of jail. After they passed, we went to grab lunch at a local restaurant. When we were done we both hesitantly got up (because that is what you do when you are done eating, right?…) but then we both sat down again. A minute later the demonstration walked past again but this time it was not peaceful. I watched several men throw large rocks at the truck parked right in front of the restaurant. We ran into the back kitchen area and waited for the demonstration to pass. My friend looked at me and said “something told me to sit back down again.” I responded, “me too”. We both knew the Holy Spirit had spoken to each of us. The demonstration was only targeting government vehicles but if we had left when we were initially planning on it we would have been caught in the crossfire.

Second:

Last Sunday morning I was taking my kids and their friends to church. We were planning on going to Sunday school and the service following. I pulled out of our apartment complex and waited in the driveway until my navigation app pulled up on my phone. It was taking an exceptionally long time and I was starting to get frustrated. In the meantime, our guard was trying to get my attention and I heard him say, “kawoutchou”. I went to look and sure enough, my back tire had lost air and it would not have been good to drive to church with it that low. Bri looked at me and said, “I think there was a reason why the app was not pulling up”. As soon as I knew about the tire, yup, the map pulled up! I promptly pulled back into the garage until I could figure out how to get it taken care of. We didn’t make it to Sunday school but we did make it to the service.

Third:

Yesterday Bruce was on his way home and a car was not paying attention and hit him right in our back tire. No damage except it tore out the tire stem and the tire was completely flat. A man walked up to Bruce and handed him a tire stem and walked away. Bruce promptly took it to our local tire guys and they fixed it for him. This prevented Bruce from getting all the way home but kept him closer to the airport. The significance is that while Bruce was getting the stem replaced, he received an emergency call needing him to get to the airport ASAP as a medical flight was heading to LaGonave. Once the tire was fixed he immediately headed to the airport! He did not end up on the flight but assisted with coordinating everything once the patient arrived on the mainland.


You can choose to call these coincidences but when things like these happen over and over again I find it hard to continue to call them coincidences. When I handed my entire (and not just a piece here and there) life and everything in it over to God years ago I started seeing things differently. God does speak quietly, I do believe in guardian angels, and I believe he uses people around us. I am sure there are many things that have happened that God has protected us from that we know nothing about. I need to remind myself each morning to give each day to Him and to stop and listen to Him throughout the day. I still struggle with praising in the storm but He knows this and is working in me on it. Sometimes the things we find to be annoyances are actually protecting us and helping us make our faith stronger.

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Psalm 5:11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Keep listening for the "still small voice"
If you are weary on life's road;
The Lord will make your heart rejoice
If you will let Him take your load. -Hans Ernst Hess



No comments:

Post a Comment